Sunday, June 22, 2008

This weekend's action

So my great friend (and DodgyCurry.ca webmistress) Chelsea came to town this weekend to attend the Virgin Music Festival. I decided not to go, since I don't really know or care for any of the acts, but we got to hang out on Friday anyway.

We started out by going out for lunch at Tiffin Curry and Roti House. after Matty and I had decided it was time for a re-visit. (More on that at a later date) We'd originally given it a 5/10 but had hoped that we'd just gone on a bad day and that we would have a much improved dining experience this time. I'll just say that we were let down, and I'll tell the whole story once Matty and I figure out what to do with it.

Then we headed back to my place to play some Lego Indiana Jones. It's a pretty fun and simple game. One of the best I've played for two people co-op. In this day and age of online gaming it's kinda nice to have a game that is actually built for 2 people in the same room to play and is even improved by the experience.


After a couple Dark and Stormys (rum and ginger beer with lime....mmmm) we had some food and moved on to watching a movie. The movie of the night.... The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. I'm pretty sure the Wu-Tang Clan watched this one waaaaay too much as kids since they reference it (and other Kung Fu classics) about every 5 seconds.

I'm not going to spoil the plot for you, but a large chunk of running time is spent on the basic training that our hero goes through. Possibly the inspiration for the Karate Kid's Wax-on Wax-off, our hero has to carry heavy buckets of water without letting his arms sag and smash his head against sandbags to get across a plaza. Unlike most movies in the genre, the final fight isn't the big payoff, it's the long hard journey to become a kung fu master that makes the movie. It's known as one of the best of all-time, and rightly so. Check it out.

No comments: